You will be creating designs for three databases which will be provided in a
text file (i.e., has a .txt extension). For each design you will do
- A sentence explaining the purpose of the database.
- List all fields the database will store along with a phrase or sentence
that explains what it is.
- Identify and list all functional dependencies.
- Show the proposed BCNF design using list notation.
If I were doing this assignment for the book database we've been using my solution
would look something like this:
List of Fields
isbn the standard book number
title title of the book
num_pages number of pages in the book
year copyright year of the book
auth_id author's id number
auth_first book author's first name
auth_last book author's last name
pub_id publisher's id number
pub_name name of the book's publisher
pub_addr city/state of the publisher
FD: pub_id --> pub_name, pub_addr
FD: author_id --> author_first, author_last
FD: isbn --> title,num_pages,year
Produce a database design for each of these:
- The ``candy'' database given in the class handout. You may need to
modify/adjust fields in order for the design to make sense.
- The ``four'' database (dealing with recipes) given in the class
handout. You may need to modify/adjust fields in order for the design to
- Imagine a major hotel is wanting to keep track of room reservations.
To do so they need to store the following information: customer name,
customer payment information, date of reservation, number of adults with the
reservation, number of children with the reservation, room number, number
of beds in the room, maximum occupancy for the room, smoking permitted in
the room or not.
All three of your designs should be in a single text document and should follow
the instructions provided. Upload the document into Canvas prior to the beginning
of class on the due date.
The assignment has 30 possible points with each design being designated 10 points
as follows: 1 point for the descriptive sentence, 3 points for list of fields and descriptions, 2 points for identifying
functional dependencies, and 4 points for the final design.